Put a grown-up twist on a classic childhood favourite with these Protein Rice Krispie Treats! Made without butter or marshmallows, these healthy bars are vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and make a great balanced snack!
- 4 cups crispy rice cereal*
- 1/2 cup protein powder (~40g)
- 1/4 cup creamy nut butter**
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup***
- Optional: 2-3 Tbsp. chocolate chips, for drizzlin
- Prepare a 8×8 baking pan by spraying it with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the cereal and protein powder. Set aside.
- In a small pan over medium-high heat, add almond butter, coconut oil, and brown rice syrup. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently to avoid burning, before removing from heat and allowing to cool slightly.
- Pour nut and syrup mixture into the cereal mix. Stir until everything is fully combined and all the cereal is well coated.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish. Using the spatula or your hands, spread the mixture evenly in the pan, pressing down firmly.
- Place chocolate into a microwave safe bowl and nuke on high in 20 second intervals, mixing between each. When chocolate is fully melted, drizzle over the top of the packed cereal mixture using a spoon.
- Place pan into fridge and allow to cool for ~30 minutes before cutting into squares.
* use a brand that’s certified gluten-free if you need these to be GF. ** feel free to use your favourite nut butter. I used almond, but you could easily use peanut butter; or even a soy nut butter to make these nut-free. *** you can sub this with honey if not strictly vegan.